Omega 3 fatty acids are all the rage in the health world right now, causing people to flock to their local grocery stores and stock up on pounds of salmon. As a vegan, you may be feeling a little left out. Not to mention a bit concerned. With all the good stuff those Omega-3’s give us, how can vegans get their share? Luckily for us, there are a few “hidden” sources of Omega 3 fatty acids that fit perfectly in our lifestyle. First let’s check out why we need those fatty acids.
– Prevent heart disease and blood clotting
– Reduce inflammation in your body
– Stimulate production of leptin, a hormone that regulates your metabolism
– Boost your cardiovascular system
– Flax seeds
– Chia seeds
– Canola or olive oil
– Dark, leafy greens like kale or collards
So how much do you need to eat? Recent studies have recommended approximately 2 grams daily which equates to a tablespoon of flax seeds. What an easy way to get your omega-3’s and boost your overall health!